Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Love is a Movement

So. My mom got this tattoo recently (its bitchin.) She got the word LOVE in script across her forearm. Its beautiful. She had been wanting it for a long time. For months she searched for a single word that would some up everything she believed in so she could put it in ink on her body for everyone to see. We helped her out, offered words like peace and truth and understanding. But when we thought about it more we realized that the root of all those beautiful words is love. She says that now whenever she feels anger or hate, she looks at her tattoo and it reminds her that in all things, love should come first. I completely believe in that. I think if everyone tried a little harder to spread love instead of hate, the world could be a better place. Sounds kind of idealistic I know, but its not a lost cause. So Kelan and I have been trying to put love into everything we do. To remember the power of unconditional love is unstoppable. But recent circumstances...and people...can make it so hard to love. So even though love has no limits, I figured at least for those of us trying to follow it while living in a world full of haters - we need some helpful guidelines.

  • "Love is a movement...love is a revolution..." -switchfoot. = Trying to put love into everything you do is a revolutionary thing. That kind of unconditional love is like a super power. And the more people that jump on the band wagon, the more powerful it gets. Just by being kind to people and at least putting effort into putting that kind of positive energy in the world - you make a difference - you cause a movement.
  • "When you give love, you give life, and you might die tryin'" - dave matthews band. Giving love is definitely not always an easy thing. Cuz lets face it - people are bitches sometimes - there's no way around it. Love can be easy and love can be hard. When its hard, you have to remember giving it is giving life. And personally, I think that is something worth fighting for. So when someone decides that they are gonna make everyone around them miserable...just try to love. Even if you don't see a change in that person at all - someone else saw you try. And bam...you've influenced another lover.
  • "People are just people like you..." - regina spektor. Nobody is perfect. There are going to be times when we just don't freaking feel like loving anyone. Don't kick yourself in the ass. We're human. And so is everyone else who may not be lovers like you. Dust yourself off and give your best tomorrow. Love is patient. Love is kind... and Love will understand when your pmsing, bloated, your best friend is being a bitch, and you just don't feel like dealing.
  • "Its your godforsaken right to be loved loved loved..." - Jason Mraz. Love yourself. Even when you feel like crap. Just try. You have a right. You were made with love, now give it. And remember when dealing with even the bitchiest of people - they deserve to be loved too.
  • "Love was always the goal. And my point every step of the way was that nothing is wrong with love, no matter what flavor it comes in." - Ani DiFranco. Dont judge. Love is love. gay straight, bisexual, inter racial, whatever. Love is Love. Who are we to judge its forms?
  • "All you need is love, love is all you need." the Beatles. I think it pretty much sums itself up. Dont you? Makes sense. It really is the root of our existence. Its your cornerstone, your foundation. Sometimes I forget how much I've been keeping inside me and it all comes out in one big gush. Like when I see Kelan or Sam or Kaleigh or anyone I absolutely love and don't see often enough. Don't hesitate to give it. Its the bomb. Speaking of bombs...
  • "Lets make a bomb of LOVE and blow it up." - Dave Matthews. Make love not war. Condems are cheaper than guns.
  • "Love is a piano dropped from a fourth story window, and you were in the wrong place at the wrong time." - Ani DiFranco. Don't expect people to love you back. The best kind of love, is the kind you didn't see coming.

Basically....Love wins. <3

3 comments:

Kelannn said...

This is going to be the best way to live imaginable.

You did a perfect job at everything. I couldn't think of anything else to add.

=]

Anonymous said...

Hayden, you inspire me.
I can't think of any other way to explain it.

Your thoughts, your arts, your music..
I wish everyone had the chance to experience who you are, because you are one of the most simply beautiful people I could ever think to acknowledge.

Thank you for being someone I aspire to be - someone with talents and goals that I envy. (:

Charles Leo said...

Hi Hayden,

I created the heart grenade image you posted many years ago. I recently made an update to my website and was checking image links when I came across this page. You have some great artwork there - keep up the great work and posts.

I feel humbled that your mother would get this image as a tattoo. Please thank her deeply for that. I hope she loves it.

Also, if you get a chance, please take a picture and send it to me!

Kindest Regards,

Cleo