Tuesday, July 15, 2008

My Brain and the Money Monster.


I need to stop waking up at noon.  This morning - er - afternoon...I woke up with this total feeling of uselessness.  Half of the day had been wasted and yet I could do absolutely nothing to will myself out of bed.  So when I finally did get my ass up, I felt lousy and tired anyway.  I kind of wandered around for a bit, not knowing what to do with myself.  There were dishes waiting for me in the kitchen sink, a sketchpad that has been missing me and my attention for about a week, and little old me - with no attention span or any motivation to do a damn thing.

I decided i'd take a shower and just wake the hell up and DO something with my life today.  But I didn't end up doing much. (Besides those damn dishes.)  I was already feeling pretty crappy about my non-productive day, when the tuition bill arrived from Nazareth.  Oh my Jesus.  My heart sunk to the freaking floor.  I thought I was going to cry.  Cry for me, cry harder for my parents, cry for the kitchen my mom will never get finished, cry for all the things my parents are letting go of, cry for the debt that will plague them and myself for the rest of our LIVES.

My mom went over the bill with me, and we talked about how loans will work out, how I'll be contributing, how forms needed to be filled out.  I just had this completely torn feeling.  Part of me felt awful - I mean how can I do this to my parents?  They DESERVE a new kitchen, they DESERVE a new work van, a studio, they DESERVE A BEAUTIFUL FUCKING VACATION FOR THEIR 25th ANNIVERSARY.  But then poof. One little bill in the mail and its all gone.  And its all because of me.  The other part of me feels like I shouldnt let myself and my education be compromised by all these money issues. That these next few years will be worth every cent.  But my brain can't let go of what its doing to my family and our bank accounts.  I feel.....selfish.

I walked into the kitchen, where my mom was standing, taking some advil and wearing a look of pure exhaustion.  She looked at me and said, "dont even think about letting this make you feel guilty.  Other families do this, we can do it too.  Instead of feeling guilty, just use it to motivate you.  Everything you do now - EVERYTHING, counts.  These next four years are the beginning of the rest of your life.  Dont take it for granted."  I needed her to say that to me.  I needed it to come from her more than anyone.  We laughed as she popped the cork off a wine bottle on the counter and took a lonnnggg swig.  Then she hugged me and said, "I'm so excited for you, kid."  Well break my heart and sew it back together.  I went online and started looking up how to budget better, guides to handling student loans, scholarships...just doing a little research.  Ask any one of my friends - i'm a penny pincher already - but you ain't seen nothin yet.

I ended the day talking to my two favorite people and just getting my mind of this huge money monster playing around obnoxiously in the back of my brain.  Thank god for Sam and Kelan.  I don't know how I would manage without them.  If the world had more Kelans and Sams, it would be a significantly better place.  So tomorrow brings college finances and paperwork up the ying yang.  I have to keep telling myself I deserve this.  I have to keep telling myself that once I publish my first childrens book, I will build my parents their dream house and send them on a vacation to wherever they want.  I have to keep telling myself there is always a way.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say that I love you entirely. And I'm sorry you feel this way (I do too I think it comes with going to college). And I must admit I'm a little jealous that Kelan and Sam got to cheer you up and I didn't. I just miss you terribly even if I did just see you last week. I miss my hayden talks and our hour long comedy schpeels.

Kelannn said...

Oh dear!

You DO deserve this, and I know that yuo will not blow school off. Besides, you love what you're doing, you have no reason to.

I have every bit of faith in you possible.

<333

Anonymous said...

This is more for me to say something than for a comment... seeing as I already wrote one lol. I know you wouldn't do that to me. You're so much better than that. Sometimes I let doubt consume me. And I do know that Sam is a part of your future. I think part of it is the abstract of not knowing her. I promise I don't think like that all the time. I'm not excusing it but I am saying that I had a really bad day and I was just venting and the bad part of me came out. I do thank you for reaffirming what I know to be true. I started bawling like a baby when I read your comment :D I don't mean to add any pressure to your life. And I'm sorry if I did. I just love you SO much. And that's really all there is to it.