Thursday, July 3, 2008

The Fourth.

I have gotten into the annual summer habit of staying up wayyyy to late and sleeping in for hours.  My body is having trouble adjusting - especially now that my work hours have switched to mornings.  But for some reason, even though I am fully aware that I should be sleeping, there is a part of me that just cant lay down and shut my eyes. I've been staying up drawing lately - which makes me really happy seeing as I have been almost completely void of any creative thought lately.  (I finally got my scanner up and running so as soon as I finish some good sketchs I'll post em on here.)  I think a mixture of exhaustion and half-dreaming has inspired some crazy characters and random doodles that are worthy of space in my sketchbook.  So for now - until I have serious issues (like insomnia??) I'll embrace the night owl in me.  

I finally got my Macbook the other day and I'm absolutely in love with it.  It is only adding to my late night distractions but its worth it.  When we were at the apple store we had this guy come over to help us. He was short, olive colored skin with this curly dark hair and an extremely sweaty upper lip.  You could tell he was brand spanking new.  He had one of those nifty looking apple t-shirts on that said " I could talk about this stuff for hours."  And he did.  He stuttered just a little bit initially (probably cuz my mom was asking him a million questions) but he got into it and ended up talking to the computer more than to us.  It was in between cute and awkward. It was (cawkward.)  I almost wanted to tap him on the shoulder and say, "should I leave you two alone?"  Anywho...the free ipod and printer were a definite plus.  

So today is the fourth of July.  Its turning out to be utterly uneventful thus far.  Which really does not bother me at all.  I'm not super patriotic.  I mean honestly, there are so many times when I am ashamed to be American.  I really admire our troops and sometimes wish I could find that kind of loyalty in myself.  I do try.  The only thing I really love about the fourth of July is the fireworks.  Other than that it is kind of a sad day.  My dad's best friend died today a few years ago in a boating accident.  I can see this kind of bittersweetness in my dad's face when he talks about it.  I think about Justin and his kids every time I hear his song on the radio - "Dont Stop Believin'"  I just saw his daughter Taylor recently and holy shit has she grown up.  I have got to hang out with her more.  

I do love the freedom that we have in America - just looking at it from a female stand point even.  I don't have to cover my face, I can vote, I can own my own property, I am not chained to a household, I am entitled to an education...I'm insanely lucky.  But as for the politics of this country..."Politics, it seems to me, for years, or all too long, has been concerned with right of left instead of right and wrong." - Richard Armour.  Couldn't agree more.  Yeah yeah I know I know - I'm a bleeding heart liberal.  But I think that every American whether right or left winged has to agree with that statement.  Anyway...I'm going to enjoy this day and see fireworks and eat food and goof off.  God bless America...

"Politicians are like diapers - both need changing regularly- and for the same reason."



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tell me about it sister. My days turn to nights and it's just bad lol. We need to hang very very soon again cause I need some talkage time. Like as in coffee hour long discussions lol. And I'm glad you've found some inspiration when it comes to your art because I know it's what makes you happiest in this world; well when bitchy mcbitch isn't harping on you about it ;-D. Love you tons honey bunches of oats.