Thursday, September 17, 2009

little things.



I thought about it when I woke up this morning and I rolled out of bed. Just these little things. After a night of dreaming I woke up and felt hyper aware of all of these little pieces of good in my life. Things that make me smile that I don't always take the time to stop and recognize. Like the way you find your pillow has left sleep lines all over your cheeks and nose after a good night's sleep. Its like a new piece of artwork every morning.

Or how the condensation from your mouth and nose leave designs on the top of your portable coffee mug. Damn that is pretty.

Yesterday - nope, scratch that - this week has been one of the most insane thus far. And it's not even close to being over. And as I pound my way through readings on Gandhi, King, Gibran and Day, memorize my way through nutritional values, and try to retain some of my creative thought...I keep forgetting to look upward.

Why are we always looking down? I catch myself doing it all the time. Looking down as I walk, or even when I talk to people, when I'm absorbed in a computer screen or trying to make myself disappear when a beautiful boy walks by. People in general I have noticed, have a hard time really looking at each other. No hello's in the hallways, or small gestures of greeting. Eye contact is a privilege these days it seems.

So today I am really trying to look up and around, to see people, to see things. To take notice. To be awake. I miss so much when I just let myself go through the motions of the everyday....when really, the everyday holds some of the most beautiful things I often forget to notice.

Like how awesome the post-it note can be when leaving yourself reminders. Or how various colored high lighters can make reading dry text wayyy too much fun. Or how people make the most insane faces when they yawn.

And what about people themselves? The curve of a lip or that dip right under their nose. Eye brows in general are curious things. Or how about the way they laugh or scowl or cry or curse?
and fuck, if it isn't fun to hear people curse. (Note: people with accents always make the word fuck interesting...sounds more like "fook" or "feck"...both excellent choices. )

Today I am looking at people, at world, at sky, and even myself. I put on my chuck taylors today after neglecting them for a summer of flip flops and they feel like home to me.

The color of the day is olive green.
(yesterday was eggplant purple.)

Be awake.


No comments: