Thursday, August 21, 2008

Safe Sex is Good Sex.

So today was move in day.  It went much much MUCH better than I expected it too.  The emotions were definitely running high and I felt this need to stay close to my family until the very last moments before they left.  I'm starting to learn though that everything is bearable when you have faith in yourself and whats ahead of you and the people in your life.  I definitely shed tears today, but my happiness here is keeping me in balance.  Things that seemed overwhelming yesterday seem so right now.  I'm really glad for that.

We moved all our crap in after waiting in a lonnnng ass line.  There were a bunch of people helping out so it didnt take long to get all of our stuff up in the room.  Sam had gotten there earlier to unload so we had plenty of space.  (I seriously have the best roomie in the world.  I would be lost without her.  And she was even so gracious as to give me the bed by the window.  What a doll.  I hope we can room together next year and the year after and the year after...and yeah.  love her.)  We unpacked a little and set up the basics, then had a quick lunch and met up with orientation groups.  At first they werent so eventful, but I had a chance to meet a lot of awesome new people.  Everyone here is sooo nice.  We had this long welcome ceremony with a bunch of speeches and our statement of intent, then we had to say goodbyes.  I had been dreading them all day.  There was this big ball of DREAD in the pit of my stomach.  I'm closer to my family than I think I could ever explain, so the moving out process was a milestone I was verrrrry aware of.  I still am. So we all cried, (there really was no way to avoid it) and then headed to the parking lot where there was this fork in the road. I had to go one way, and the family had to go the other way.  Gah.  It took me a bit to get myself together as I walked down my road.  But I did it.  And I am so happy I did.

We met up in groups again and had a really quick dinner and an RA meeting.  Then later we had groups AGAIN (gah.) and then we went and saw a comedian in the gym.  They were pretty decent.  But I gotta say, once you've seen Dane Cook there is no going back.  Its like seeing a cadillac and then having to buy an old lumina or something.  Still gets you from A-B, but doesnt drive as sweet.  Everyone was so tired by that point a bunch of them started to get up and leave to use the showers and such.  I almost felt bad for them.  Me and Sam came back to our dorm and unpacked some more, ran around our floor and knocked on doors, saying hey to everyone on Kearney East and hunting down a sink so we could make some crystal light for the fridge.  

We have the perfect room.  its tucked away at the end of a hall, with a little window seat right outside of it.  We live next door to our peer mentor who promptly posted a small envelope of condems on her white board outside her door with a note that said "safe sex is good sex!" right after the parents had all left.  It was an insane day and I have no idea why I am still up at 2:10am, but I dont want to forget any of this.  :)

More tomorrow <3

1 comment:

Kelannn said...

Hayden Welch,

I miss you and Sam so much already. I am already in love with your peer mentor, I thought you should know.

I am so proud of you, I knew yesterday was going to be emotional but you dealt with it perfectly.

I can't wait to see your new digs and meet everyone. I would love to get henna'd up, and Olivia wants one too. I'm kind of selfish, though, I want to visit you myself first.

The AP meeting is Tuesday, and I hardly finished my homework. I don't know if I'm even going to do AP US this year, I was going to ask you about that the next time you get on AIM. I am so sad about school and everyone being terrible and just... let me live with you?

Seriously, the first time you're free, please call me. My mom already told me that I can spend as much time in the dorm as you can handle (hahah) so we're all good with parental OK, and I have my own car and enough money for gas to last me forever so really... just call and I'll be there in 20 minutes.

I love you. =]