Sunday, June 20, 2010

Dear Earth,

I loved you madly today.
I drank you in from the car window while we drove back from my grandfather's house.
In the stretches of road and tree and sky that were not littered with buildings and telephone poles, you looked radiant.
You looked happy.
You looked blue and green and yellow in all the best ways.
The purest ways.
I know we've hurt you, burnt you, abused you.
We set up an ignorant residence, forgetting the graciousness of your initial hospitality.
What horrible guests we've been.
Wrecking your limbs, draining your spirit and putting it into jar, a car, a train, a plane....a bomb.
But you shined for me today anyway.
Loved me anyway.
You whispered to me over the noise of the car radio like a damaged little girl.
"Don't forget I'm still beautiful."
I saw your youth for a fleeting moment.
Saw power in the quietness of your whisper.
You are still beautiful.
Thank you.

Love, Hayden

1 comment:

Samantha said...

. . . I love you. And I love this. With all my heart.

You're such a beautiful person, through and through, caring for everyone and everything under the sun.

I thank the gods every day knowing you're still around to make the world a better place, even if we do fight or butt heads, because in the end, you ground me.

I've said it time and time again, you're going to do beautiful things with your life, and impact people so greatly. Italy is only the beginning. <3